What does this exactly mean?

Hi guys

It probably is not a big deal but I was reading a handout with more stopping statements and this part I don’t understand:

WHY AM I LETTING MYSELF GET WORKED UP
ANYWAY? IT’S NO BIG DEAL! IF I KEEP ANTing
ON MYSELF LIKE THIS, NEXT THING YOU KNOW
I’LL BE HAVING A COW!

What the part about the cow means? I know it is funny but I don’t get it :slight_smile:

Please let me know if you can.

Hello Miron,

Dr. Richards is using the expression “having a cow” to mean “becoming angry, excited, agitated” in in unnecessary sort of way. This is more of a North American expression. Good question, especially if you are not familiar with the expression - sounds kind of weird.

So, if we let ourselves get worked up over nothing, we’ll be getting overly angry, or excited, or agitated, or worried, or depressed over nothing (over-reaction). We’ll be “having a cow” over what could be a no-big-deal situation.

I think sometimes it’s good in therapy when we use expressions/terms that carry a sort of feeling or impact, or let us also see a visualization. Like when he says “don’t make mountains out of molehills”. If the expression helps us to remember to calm down, put things back into perspective - then it’s useful.

Hope that helps answer your question.