Music as a distraction

I like the idea of listening and singing along to music as a distraction, but most of the music I enjoy and listen to isn’t exactly “positive,” if you catch my meaning :wink: and I generally find myself cringing at what seems like forced positive messages in music.

I’m just wondering if using that as a distraction could potentially be counter-productive, or even if my feelings toward positive music could be an ANF in itself…

Thoughts? :slight_smile:

I used to listen only negative music too. I just gently opened my mind for different genres and authors. The same with movies and books. But not forcing myself to do this and not over one day of course. I like this quotation from this portal: “Your emotions and feelings are created by your thoughts, and you create your thoughts by what you focus on”. And the other one I like: “If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.”

I agree with what Tomek said. I sort of shifted from my past genres of listening to hip hop and alternative/hard rock. I still feel there is a place for that music sometimes (such as when I’m at the gym), and I do like it still, but in general if I’m listening to more positive music I’m going to be in a better, more light-hearted mood. I now listen to country, 80-90s hits, and I’ve heard some people say 60s pop music is the sweet spot :smirk: . I can’t relate to some of the country stuff (drinking beer, riding a tractor, and marrying everyone I see), but I feel like it’s usually a little more light hearted than other genres.