Meditation to help with anxiety and racing thought

Meditation is and amazing tool to have for anyone with anxiety and or depression. I started meditating myself and it really help the mind to see more clearly. I'm still very much a novice in the field but for the few experiences I had with meditating I can say that it is a very important tool for anyone in anxiety recovery;)

I agree that meditation is great for overcoming anxiety. I want to add one thing that I have discovered: I am not able to go straight from stress and anxiety into meditation. I first need to do something physical to reduce the stress and anxiety, then meditate. It works much better for me that way smile

Do you guys have any tips in how to meditate? I remember a long time ago doing it (or at least thinking I was doing it), but I’m not sure if I was doing it right. Can you recommend any books?

Thx =)

Jon Kabat-Zinn is an excellent source for learning meditation. You can watch his talks on YouTube and get his books and audiobooks free from the library.

I use myyogaonline.com. It has many meditation videos and well as yoga videos. They do charged a montly fee to access their videos but it is wellworth it!

Meditation is an AMAZING tool, and has been proven in research to help almost any aspect of mental functioning - it improves happiness, concentration, creativity, and many more other things. It is especially effective in conjunction with CBT since meditation is the perfect way to practice diverting thoughts and not being attached to them, which is exactly what we want to do with the ANTs.

There are many ways to meditate, and if different videos or mp3s help you do it, that’s great, but a lot of times people are so worried about meditating “right” that they end up not doing it. That’s a shame because meditation is actually pretty simple - just sit quietly, for as short as even 5 minutes a day, and focus on your breathing. When your mind wanders, simply bring it back to your breath.That’s it. And even if your brain wanders a lot - that’s fine, you will still gain all the wonderful benefits of meditation.