Help! Slow speech makes me nervous

Hi, guys!
I just started to take this course. Don’t know why, but I began to feel worse, to constantly think about their fears in social situations become more stiff. Long time getting ready to say something, think how it will sound my voice. The voice is clamped. At work sometimes practice slow speech, but I think I’m talking dry and not vigorously. This phase will end? I no longer believe that it will help. I don’t usually feel awkward when I say energetic, fun. And now we are asked to speak slowly. While the thoughts are focused on the problem and I think I was more tense about social anxiety. You have been so?

well how long are you in the program? if youre really new you should rather practice slow talk at home until it feels better. generally, its is intended for situations that make you anxious, but the idea is that you learn how to use it automatically when you become anxious while speaking, as a way to stop you from speeding up and “losing control” of your flow of speech. if this isnt happening at all to you, maybe you can limit your usage of this to the therapy handouts. however, once you do get a calming effect from it when reading the handouts (this is very strong for me, i noticed), you might as well use it in other situations when its useful.

in any case, its probably normal that your fears get up a bit at first because youre then more aware of whats going on. this should end after some days or weeks and you should see some first results.

good luck to you :slight_smile:

Hello HypeFade,

Slow talk is something I used to struggle with as well. I felt weird when I first started doing the therapy, even when reading the handouts in slow talk alone in my room. But like SillyAnts said, the more you practice, the more normal it starts to feel and you become calmer when doing it.

It also sounds like you want to focus on using distractions more. Whenever you start to ruminate or obsess over negative thinking, a distraction is helpful to use because eventually the negative thinking will start to subside. Try doing something that you enjoy doing, such as watching movies or talking to a good, positive friend/family member. If that doesn’t help get your mind off the negativity, try using something stronger such as exercise or singing along to music. Dr. Richards says that after 20-30 minutes of doing this, you will start to feel better and your mind will become clearer. Especially with exercise since you are releasing endorphins.

-Mat