Few concerns about SA...(family, beta blockers)

I have never told anybody that I have SA.
I’m not sure if it would be better to let my family know that I have SA.
I’m worried that that might make them worry about me.

I started my new job few days ago.
When I’m at work, I just cannot relax and control SA.
My face constantly turns red/ tighten up and my hands shake.
I have to use hands a lot and hand tremor is adversely affecting my job performance.
Since I’m new, I have so much to learn, and I have to take time to get to know my coworkers.
I have been trying very hard to not take any medication.
However, I might have to consider taking beta blockers now.

Could you please share your thoughts and experiences?
Thank you!

Hi dream, I am also new to this forum. I have been browsing the web for a SA platform that would help me express my situation and also find out other people’s. I am so relieved that there are people out there with even more severe cases than mine. But yet, my situation here in an Indonesian’s remote island of Sumba makes it so difficult to find people who would listen. I resigned from my job recently because I could stand much longer the physical and mental discomfort of being around other people. I am really broke for there are no decent jobs to find here where one would be less affected by SA triggering situations as you might have in your country. If you are a Christian, you can find a church that would be very helpful in your situation and you can share your problem with them. I would like to encourage you that you are not alone and many choices you have in your country, you have a great chance of recovery from SA. Even knowing that there are people with more difficult situations is already a relief, don’t you think so? I feel better myself just reading your posting. Best wishes from Sumba, warrior.

Thank you so much for your comment/advice. It is such a relief to know that I’m not alone in this “fight.”
And at the same time, I feel bad that there are other people who are suffering and experiencing the same things that I’m going though. Because I know how tough it is to live with SA. When I come home from work these days, I just have no energy left in me to do anything else. That’s why I’m considering taking medication. I really want to stay away from it though. I sincerely hope you could make progress with SA. I’m glad that my post made you feel better.

You know, I feel much better knowing that there are people in their sixties suffering from SA. It has been difficult contemplating on future prospects of a 46 years old man with SA, being crippled emotionally, socially etc as I am. But I believe I can cope with my SA now. Have faith friend.

I also learned recently that I have socialphobia. It was such a relief.Then I wanted to tell someone about this but thought well, I realized that It’s not worth it. They will not understand. Like you say, they will start to worry, and this will change the attitude towards you. So continue to read the book and dont tell anybody about your socialphbia

Hi Dream10,

I think it’s a good idea to tell family members whom you trust. Perhaps they won’t be worried. After all, it’s not a life-threatening illness. People with other physical and mental illnesses tell their families. Why should we act any differently? It’s very kind of you to think of other’s feelings. However, we cannot control other’s reactions. SA causes us to focus too much on other people’s feelings and reactions. Please don’t let ANTs (Automatic Negative Thoughts) stop you from telling family.

I told some of my family, and they don’t worry about me. I’ve also spoken to, at least, 15 other people who’ve told their families. My family will never fully understand what I’m experiencing; but, at least I have some support and I feel less shameful about having SA.

As for medication, I took clonazepam in order to function at work. It was a last resort, but I’m glad that it helped. I’ve never tried beta blockers, but many people with SA use it. You don’t have to stay on medicine forever; but, It will probably help you to function better at your job. As you learn the coping strategies in Dr. Richard’s program or elsewhere, you’ll become less dependant on medication.

BTW, the tiredness is most likely mental (nervous) fatigue. I experience it, as well. If you can force yourself to exercise (preferably cardio) for 20-30 minutes, after work, you will probably gain energy and feel less anxious. It works for me.

Hi. This is Lauren. I was using my mom’s e-mail address before for the s.a. site. Mine is laurlaurhorsegirl@gmail.com. It would be nice to communicate with someone with social anxiety and social phobia. Thanks.