Express Your Gratitude!

5 things I am grateful for:

1) Understanding acceptance - Things don't have to be black and white.. Gray works too.
2) Having the necessary things like food, a place to live, and clothes
3) The courage to take some chances
4) My health
5) Being able to provide for my family

good idea

things i am grateful for today

1--the fact that i am living in this age
2--the fact that CBT was founded before my birth
3--the fact that all my needs are met
4--the global wave of change.

Today I am gratefull for:
Time to spend with my great friends
There is a hope for a new job oportunety abroad
My bike ride i am going to do today and a progress I am makin in length of the rides

On Thanksgiving Day, 2014:

• I give thanks to my husband, Buddy, who more than rose to the challenge with unflagging help and positivity when I was sick with cancer and its associated chemotherapy / radiation treatments this year. I am grateful that every day, he would set up a hammock for me under the huge ancient maple tree in the yard where I could rest from treatment, read, and watch the wildlife stroll by. He was also supportive during my darkest SA days (after he finally learned that it wasn’t something from which I could pull myself up by my bootstraps .^_^. ).

• I give thanks to my adorable kitty named Panda, tiny but mighty, who kept me laughing in between bouts of nausea and radiation enteritis. (And that’s in spite of her using my sore lower abdomen as a trampoline and the medi-port implanted in my R shoulder as a spring board!)

• I am thankful that my Aunt Helen left me money upon her death that I used to buy a wooded lot that I then had available to sell when I needed to finance my trip to the Social Anxiety Institute in Phoenix. I miss especially her wonderful, full-throated laugh.

• I give thanks to Dr Thomas Richards for having SA (as much as my heart goes out to him for what he suffered through) and for forging the path that we all now follow. He’s our Pied Piper to recovery.

• I give thanks to the other members in my CCBT group for their empathy, willingness to help everyone equally, and for befriending everyone in spite of our differences in geography, age, circumstances, and experiences. And I am especially thankful to the two others in my group who participated in a break-out grouplet that helped the three of us, under Dr Richards’ guidance, to begin to overcome the terrible dysmorphia we suffered from.

• I am thankful that I had the chance to go to Phoenix, not only for CCBT, but for the cultural flavors and for the Sonoran Desert itself. It was like no place else I had ever been, a real journey to another planet, rugged and unworldly, when compared to the emerald-colored Hudson Valley. Simply gorgeous! I also attended my very first poetry slam while I was there with several group members. (We went a lot of really cool places together.)

Well, my husband may have been a fabulous care-giver through my cancer and SA periods, but we should definitely avoid cooking high stakes meals together, like Thanksgiving dinner! >_<

1. ALL OF YOU <3
  2. Myself and everything I’ve overcome
  3. My family and friends, with whom I couldn’t do anything
  4. The world - things get really difficult and dark and it’s easy to forget how beautiful the world is
  5. Eating and sleeping - As a recovering insomniac, sleep is SO IMPORTANT and you don’t even realize it until you never have it what a blessing it is just to be able to rest.

Honestly, just throw everything at it. Chamomile tea, lemon balm extract, yoga LOTS OF YOGA or some form of working out every single day that exhausts you, meditation, I even have an eye pouch that has herbs in it like lavender, diet is really important Sao many veggies and fruits and never underestimate how much a cup of tea or coffee or even chocolate can fuck up your sleep. For me, my insomnia was because of my anxiety but was the worst when I experienced something traumatic and so I was essentially suffering from ptsd. If that’s you then try therapy. Oh and deep breathing !!! Insomnia is the worst and I still struggle with it but not as much as I used to. Like I said just throw everything at it. I wish you the best of luck :heart:️:heart:️:kissing_heart::heart:️:heart:️:heart:️

All good suggestions…thanks. I don’t use any caffeine, not even chocolate. No alcohol and no meat. I meditate, do yoga, and try to remember the deep breathing. I’m always hoping for a magic cure for insomnia, but if there was one, I would have heard about it by now. One thing that helps me get back to sleep is the relaxation tape from the overcoming social anxiety series.

My issue is always getting to sleep. A lot of times once I’m asleep IM good, but I have a hard time stopping the racing thoughts and sleeping pills don’t really help that. I actually don’t like sleeping pills because they don’t make me feel refreshed in the morning I just feel more groggy like the pills are still trying to make me sleep.

I agree about the sleeping pills…groggy in the morning. I go to sleep, but wake up in the middle of the night. I feel better being sleep deprived than taking pills. I have thought about going to a sleep clinic, but people I know that have been to one say the same thing…they were told they are getting enough sleep or that they have sleep apnea. I know I don’t have sleep apnea and don’t need to pay someone to tell me that I am getting enough sleep. Besides, I don’t want a team of people watching me sleep. It’s like you said, it is a lot of little things that help insomnia and not one magic cure. Just like social anxiety :wink:

Definitely! And I was kinda lucky that my insomnia became so bad when it did - before, I didn’t even KNOW I had any anxiety at all. It never crossed my mind that the sweating and constant racing thoughts were not normal. I assumed I had an anxious personality. The first time I went to my doctor about my insomnia she was really condescending and basically said stop drinking coffee and don’t look at your phone before you go to sleep. I explained to her that I would be up for days straight and she just boiled it down to caffeine that I don’t even drink lol. The second doctor actually spoke to me and gave me solid recommendations. She said to try some therapy because it’s very likely I have an anxiety disorder and she said once that starts if you still need something we can get you Xanax. And although anxiety is the least fun part of my life, I feel lucky to at least be able to put a name to what’s going on inside my head. That’s the first step and then of course you just throw everything you can at it lol

I just started last week, but today I’m thankful for

1. Finding a group of individuals who also experience SAD
  2. Starting the OSA program
  3. Supportive husband and kids
  4. I can start ditching my private belief of being “weird” and instead feel like a human being
  5. With OSA + exercise + dietary changes = Hope to become an individual I am satisfied with

Thank you for the topic! :sunny:

I am so grateful for Dr. Richards’ Social Anxiety online program. Since beginning around April 2015, I have significantly reduced my overall anxiety level (spillover effect, I believe this is called). I am picking up the phone much more easily. Beating myself up was an Olympic sport for me – I decline to participate! I volunteered to go grocery shopping with my husband 2 evenings ago, in my town at a busy time, and I did not run thru the aisles to avoid people I recognized. I frequently use the lookaround technique, which has allowed me to enter recovery meetings late (when necessary), after most people were seated – I used to just go home because I was too anxious to face room of seated folks. Since my recent bicycling injury, I have been much more assertive asking for what I need – in the ambulance, hospital, at home, and at work. I was conditioned by my parents to believe that I wasnt worth it – I should be satisfied with whatever was offered to me. My injury is also connected with progress – I had a sports injury! I was biking 5 miles every morning in my neighborhood, for anxiety control, weight control, and general health. I hadn’t realized that my social anxiety disorder was the main hurdle to exercising outside of my house. I also appreciate Dr. Richards’ stories about his father – my parents are very similar, but I found ways to turn it around and blame myself for problems in those relationships. No more (one day at a time, work in progress). I turned 56 years old today – it isn’t too late to change!!

Today I am grateful for:

1. My husband of 25 years, who has stuck with me every moment of every day, through thick and thin, for better or for worse, in sickness (bipolar disorder, major depression, severe social anxiety, panic disorder, every symptom that comes with those, 2 suicide attempts, 6 hospitalizations) and in health (which hasn’t come very often.)
  2. Trying to have a positive attitude in the first place.
  3. Finding SAI.org and it’s free information.
  4. Learning what “absolute” words are.
  5. Trying hard not to use absolute words.
  6. The self-fulfilling prophecy graphic on SAI.org
  7. The fact that my sister called today which is an unusual occurrence

I’m so thankful to have found this opportunity to learn and grow. Thank you for making it available at a price I can afford.

I’m thankful for all you beautiful people who know what it’s like to suffer these feelings that have so often left me feeling alone, isolated and hopeless.

I’m thankful to have a brain that can change, and to have this very do-able course

I’m thankful for my husband, who, though he doesn’t really understand social anxiety, is always my biggest supporter. He is always there for me. What a gift he is to me.

I’m so thankful for three amazing grown children who didn’t end up with social anxiety. I always worried my thinking processes would be contagious. I’m thankful they didn’t catch it.

I’m thankful for the computer access and the complex process that led me to find this therapy.

There is so much more I am thankful for, but that expresses some of my current very happy feelings.

Today, I’m thankful for:

1. a wonderful husband to share life with
  2. how much more at peace I feel, being in week 23 of this series, than when I first started it a year and four months ago
  3. my Bible study group and church
  4. the fact that Dr. Richards started this program and website for SA sufferers, and includes articles to help the community at large better understand it
  5. it being spring, my favorite season

:grinning:

The things I’m thankful for last week:

1. Starting the day with this online therapy; it’s been very helpful. :sunflower: :sunflower:
  2. My supportive and loving family
  3. Small group in church and starting soon with Production Ministry
  4. Spending time with my brother
  5. Spotify because I can listen to good music
  6. Good food to cook and eat at home
  7. Japanese lessons
  8. Provision to be able to go to the gym

hi! i noticed that you also have a Bible study group, i have one too. i’m glad to see that i’m not alone with SA. :slight_smile:

I am Grateful For SAI, and being signed in !
I am Grateful that it rains and I am inside !

I am Grateful I have a Computer, Internet , Electricity a chair and a table and that I am inside because it rains !