Applying to Grad School Anxiety

Hey everyone,

I am currently a 4th year undergraduate student. I am about to start the process for applying to grad school and med school (in case grad school doesn’t work out). However, the idea of asking former profs and lab supervisors for references is absolutely terrifying to me and is making me second guess grad school. I keep comparing myself to other undergraduate students with more work experience and are way more extroverted than I am and as a result, I am putting myself down.

I was wondering if there was any undergrad students undergoing a similar process as me or if there was any grad students out there with SA that went through the same process and how they dealt with the anxious feelings associated with applying to grad school.

Any advice is much appreciated

I’m not in college, but I’m a high school Senior, so I have to apply to schools as well. Don’t worry- in all professions it takes all kinds of people, so being more introverted could offer a different perspective. Also, try planning out what you are going to say and the way you are going to say it when you ask for references. That way, you know exactly what you want to say and how you want to act, and you can just plow into it. I hope this helps!

Anything with positive motivation or helpful advice is much appreciated so thank you. I’ve spent so much of my energy worrying about it, I actually haven’t thought about what to say or how to ask for references. That seems to be a better use of my time and energy than worrying. Again thank you, it’s also helpful to know that I’m not alone.